Director – Innovation & Design Knowledge
About Hong Kong Design Centre
Hong Kong Design Centre (HKDC) was founded in 2001 as a strategic partner of the HKSAR Government in establishing Hong Kong as centre of design excellence in Asia. HKDC continues its public mission to promote wider and strategic use of design and design thinking to create business value and improve societal well-being. Our initiatives are anchored by five major work directions: CONNECT, CELEBRATE, NURTURE, ADVANCE and ENGAGE.
HKDC’s flagship programmes include:
- Business of Design Week (BODW) (since 2002) – Asia’s leading annual conference and event on Design, Innovation and Brands;
- DFA Awards (since 2003) – a widely recognised design awards that celebrates outstanding designs with Asian perspectives;
- Design Incubation Programme (DIP) (since 2012) and Fashion Incubation Programme (FIP) (since 2016) – 2-year incubation programmes to nurture future design and fashion entrepreneurs;
- FASHION ASIA HONG KONG (FAHK) (since 2016) – a fashion initiative combining conversations, interactions and cultural exchanges to energise the city’s image, and position it as an Asian hub for fashion trade and business development; &
- Knowledge of Design Week (KODW) (since 2006) – an annual thematic design knowledge sharing platform that explores how design can solve complex challenges of our society.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a high caliber and like-minded candidate to join our dynamic team.
(with portfolio responsibility for innovation-driven design knowledge programmes (including flagships Business of Design Week and Knowledge of Design Week), design thinking project and workshop platforms to empower growth and innovation of public services, business and industries)
- Advise HKDC Leadership Team in design and innovation leadership, creative industry development, programming & education for industry and community outreach and continuous professional development;
- Be the group manager to direct, manage and deliver annual flagship programmes, such as BODW, KODW and projects and workshops through IDK (Institute of Design Knowledge) and new initiatives;
- Build collaborative and productive team-based behaviour within and across teams;
- Direct projects from conceptual development, stakeholder engagement and relations, grant application and management to effective orchestration of resources and experience-based implementation, covering budgeting, programming, production, marketing, audience engagement, partnerships, overall project management, reporting, administrative compliance and impact evaluation;
- Champion and advocate wider and strategic use of design and innovation in public and private sectors and the community (requiring collaboration with other internal teams and external partners);
- Undertake ad hoc assignments as required
- University graduate with minimum of 8 years relevant experience, be resourceful in the design, innovation and technology ecosystem and with experience in content-driven programming and curation, partnership and communications;
- A team builder and team player with highly developed coaching, people-centric leadership style, a growth mindset and strong project planning, development and management skills;
- A fast learner who cherishes lifelong education, with humility and ability to develop and sustain strong working relationships with stakeholders, both internally and externally;
- A design thinker with self-initiative, resilience and ability to work across teams, communicate at strategic management level and in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to plan, pitch and deliver innovation-oriented, design thinking projects and workshops will be an advantage;
- Strong business acumen with able storytelling, communication and language skills; ability to communicate in Chinese will be an advantage but not pre-requisite;
- Ability to discharge duties with professionalism, ethics, accountability, tact and in compliance with corporate governance;
- Knowledge and experience in NGOs and in initiating and managing publicly-funded and public-private partnership projects would be essential.
Our office will move to Tsuen Wan in late April 2019
Interested parties are invited to apply by sending your resume with full details of education, work experience, current & expected salary, contact telephone number and earliest available date to the Human Resources Office, Hong Kong Design Centre, 1/F, InnoCentre, 72 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. HKDC reserves the right not to make appointment for the post(s) advertised. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. All information received will be kept in strict confidence for six months and data will only be used for recruitment purpose